Sunday, December 16, 2012

Episode 1546: I Admit It, Merlin Actually Bores Me Now...

It's just as well the BBC is axing Merlin after this fifth series, as I'm honestly getting a bit bored of it. Blame it on watching whiplash-inducing dramas like The Vampire Diaries, but I expect a show to actually advance its storylines, instead of mostly marching in place and occasionally advancing the plot by a fraction. As of this week's episode, the antepenultimate of the whole series, Arthur still doesn't know Merlin has magic. At this rate, it wouldn't surprise me if the show ended with Mordred killing Arthur (as per the Arthurian legend), with Merlin not saving Arthur because that would reveal he has magic. (Now that I think about it, that would actually be amazing. The show should totally go there. Entertainment news headlines for the next day in the UK? Sorted.) Frustrating as the show is though, I generally like the cast and would like to see them back on TV soon. No idea how good their American accents are (relevant issue because major British exports to American TV don't seem to be allowed to retain their native accents, e.g. Hugh Laurie, Damian Lewis, Andrew Lincoln), but I wouldn't complain if they ended up on something across the Atlantic.

No comments: